Portland is a PR machine for light rail & streetcar
Here are Some Facts About Portland Oregon
“It must always be remembered how cost-effectiveness works in the public sector: the cost IS the benefit.” - author unknown
False Promises: The Smart Growth Lies
· Portland is cutting back police due to lack of money.
· Portland usually has one of the higher unemployment rates in the country (search for portland)
· Portland recently had the nation's worst increase in traffic congestion?
· Portland almost had the shortest school year in the country.
· Major employers are leaving the city
· The downtown economy is heavily subsidized with tax dollars from the rest of the city
· The school enrollment in the Portland School District declines while the suburban districts can hardly keep up with enrollment growth
· High Density will reduce pollution.
Trimet likes to brag about their tremendous increase in ridership, but compared to population growth, they gained only 1% over the last full decade for which census data is available (1990-2000). At that rate they will have half of us out of our cars in only 500 years. There is a strong correlation between income level and transit use (people tend to get a car as soon as they can afford one) and our strong surge in immigrants may be the sole reason for Trimet's market share gain
You should also note that their reported ridership numbers are deceptive. They are boardings, not people, so if you transfer to get to work, you count as two boardings each way for a total of four boardings in one round trip to work and back.
|Cheaper & Better Transit|
|GM & The Streetcar|
|Commute Time Chart|
|Top 10 Bus|
|Clackamas Public Safety|
|Zoneing Increases Cost, Hurts Economy|